Sunday, February 8, 2009

We Salute you Dallas, Texas!

So I have been meaning to write this post for some time but have not yet put fingers to keyboard. Basically the point of this post is this: AC/DC is the greatest rock band of all time. Every person in the American Airlines Center when I saw them was blown away. I say this with full confidence. From the casual fan who just hears Angus shred the opening of Thunderstruck in the background of a sports arena during a football game to the rabid school boy uniform wearing life long fan screaming the words during every song, we were rocked. The music is pure energy. I can’t describe to you the feeling of having Angus Young 100 feet from me playing a guitar solo. Amazing. Their set designs were all out. A giant train with devil horns graced the stage throughout the set. They brought the bell down for Hells Bells, the giant blow up of Rosie with her 30 foot wide boobs made an appearance, and of course the cannons sent us on our way home. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then go out and buy ACDC live. Great DVD.

While most bands that had all of this going on a stage would seem overproduced or cheesy, it seems perfectly at home for an ACDC concert. In fact I’d say ACDC rose above all of that stuff. Their music was built for 100,000 screaming, jumping, fist pumping fans to rock out to in a field or stadium somewhere. It was the loudest concert I’ve ever been to, and I wanted more. On the Jack, Angus is standing there after he performed his strip tease with no shirt and tiny black pants, and his guitar. The groove of slow rock blues. He hits a note. Guitar rips through the arena. I mean that tiny little string sends everyone to a frenzy. People scream and fist pump for just one more note. There it comes. Then another. You can feel the excitement. By the time the band fully kicked back in and the pace of the notes picked up most people were banging or at a minimum bobbing their heads up and down. Then the chorus where everyone screams “Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack!” I mean the whole premise of this song is disgusting yet every person there was loving it. This band is great.

They played many of the greats from Back in Black to Highway to Hell and my favorite shoot to thrill. I could go on and on, but am sick of typing how awesome this was. I can’t really convey the enormity of the situation. When a concert ends with a full sized cannon salute to those rocking in the arena, you can’t go wrong. That’s right there were cannons there.

No one left until they turned the lights on at the end. Even then people were hoping it was a joke. They haven’t played in Dallas in 8 years and at that rate may not again. But if they do, do yourself a favor and go see greatness.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Awesome post! I ran into a local builder and him and his wife were at the concert. They are both flying to Dublin to see them live there! Sweet!